When you don’t have enough space but laundry still needs to be done, a portable washer and dryer is a “must have.”
Sometimes mobile homes, apartments, condominiums, ranches lack laundry area or room for full-sized washers and dryers.
Whatever reason might be all in one washer dryer can come in hand.
These units come in a variety of designs and sizes because the machine is lightweight with a compact design.
This makes them easy to install and accessible for many cabinet configurations and counter heights.
They also come with a wide array of features, including some only found on portable units.
A few of the options you’ll run into include adjustable water level settings, speed level customization, high load capacity, automatic wash cycles, spin dryer, etc.
Plus, depending on the brand and model you choose, each unit offers extra features that make using it easy and enjoyable.
Portable Washer and Dryer Benefits
Portable washing machines offer many great benefits. From the ability to put it away after use to take it with you from one place to another. The biggest downside is that load size is much smaller compared to what you get in a full-size model.
There is no need for installation, and they tuck in whatever space is available. Another nice thing about them is that they’ll save you money.
Compared to a full-size unit, portable washer and dryer doesn’t cost that much to run and requires fewer resources and maintenance.
There are a few things to consider when deciding if a compact washer and dryer is the right choice for you:
1. Apartment size washer and dryers have a smaller capacity than their larger, roomier counterparts. If you have a large family or if you do a lot of laundries, the smaller capacity of compact laundry units may not be a fit for your household.
2. When horizontal space is in short supply, many portable washers dryers can be stacked on top of each other. Stacking them, you can save floor space.
If you have someone in your household who is short, elderly or unable to reach the top, consider that when deciding how to arrange the units.
3. The smaller size makes them more efficient and less expensive to operate. This could be good for your energy and water bills.
4. Washer/dryer combinations take up half the space of washer/dryer duos because there’s only one machine.
Most combination machines are energy efficient and use less water than standard models, which will save you money. Many also have the option to add wheels or casters, allowing easy movement and storage.
Best Portable Washer And Dryer
Here are some recommended portable washer and dryers to choose from.
1. Giantex Portable Washing Machine Washer Spin Dryer
This portable washer and dryer from Giantex is very good. It is simple to use and does not require plumbing skills. It is perfect for a single person, a couple or a small family.
- Lightweight construction – It makes the washing machine easy to move when you are on the go.
- Compact design – Makes storage easy. It also makes the machine perfect for dorms and other places where space is limited.
- 1300RPM motor – Unit is functional and powerful enough to tackle most washing tasks.
The Giantex Portable Washing machine is a great choice if you’re looking for a small and compact machine that offers loads of features.
- Powerful motor on the Giantex includes 300w of washing power and 110w of spinning power
- Lightweight and easily movable design
- Each washing cycle takes just 15 minutes while the spin dry cycle takes 5 min
- Attachments have been noted as flimsy
2. Giantex 15.4lbs Portable Mini Washing Machine
If you’re tight on space and money, the Giantex is a good choice. Available in a twin tub design, this mini washing machine is very portable and has two washing functions.
You can either use one tub or both the tubs to wash your clothes. The spin tub is very effective to clean your clothes, and it has different control switches.
You can easily adjust the different washing modes, and there is also separate timer control.
You can choose the settings according to the fabric and type of cloth, and it is very suitable for the practical purpose. It comes with a low waste operation, requires low water and consumes less energy and has flexible usage.
You simply throw in your dirty clothes, fill the tub with water, and watch it go to work for the amount of time you set. It’s a little on the noisy side compared to some other models, and doesn’t have dryer function.
3. DELLA Compact Twin Tub Portable Mini Washing Machine Washer and Dryer
This washer and dryer feature load capacity for doing light to medium laundry loads. Easily select wash or dry spin and the machine will automatically stop when it is done.
It features a drainage tube which allows you to drain out dirty water easily. Save water and electricity by only washing what is needed.
Easy to operate, and powerful allows you to simply put in your load of clothes, fill with water, set the timer and start washing. Clear Lid allows you to see the wash and dry cycle and monitor the water condition
It is capable of washing medium-sized loads using just a few gallons of water, while the drainage hose empties right into your sink. Dual Function allows for a spin wash and spin dry at the same time.
Should You Get a Portable Washer and Dryer?
Portable washer dryer combo is primarily for people who can’t fit a full-size set into their home. In the US and Canada, a full-size washer or dryer is usually 27 inches wide, 30 inches deep, and at least 36 inches tall.
They need hot and cold water plumbing hookups and some kind of drainage for the washer, plus a 240-volt outlet and ventilation for the dryer. If your laundry area doesn’t have enough space, or anywhere to ventilate the dryer, a small washer and dryer might work instead.
Most models are the size of a dishwasher, but some are even smaller. Small apartments or condos, tiny houses, or older homes built before laundry rooms became standard are all common settings for compact laundry.
Even the best models, do have downsides. They usually have around half the capacity of today’s full-size machines.
A washer dryer combo is an all-in-one laundry machine that is designed to wash and dry your clothes within the same machine. The majority of combo washer dryers are ventless units that only have two basic requirements to wash and dry your clothes. Those requirements are typically only a plug and a cold water connection.
- Small and lightweight
- Washer and dryer combo
- Affordable price
- Requires fewer resources and maintenance
- Smaller capacity
- Longer cycle time